We want to assess the concept for our product in the test to analyse the following: if the users find the concept amusing, if they understand what the product is all about, and if it is something they would like to use.
The first thing we did was to ask 3 random students at the Østfold University College, from the age group between 18 and 25, if they could participate in our test study. The selected students are part of our target group for our product, hence why we chose them.
Next, we went into a group room with a TV screen so we could show our participants our video prototype. In order to determine if they understood our concept solely by watching the video, we proceeded without giving any information about our product.
After watching the video prototype once, we asked if they wanted to see it once more before answering the following questions in the form of a questionnaire.
- Did you understand the product?
- Is it something you would consider using?
- What did you find most interesting about the product?
- What do you feel is missing in the product?
- Do you have some other feedback?
Later on, we analysed the results from the test to devise a conclusion. Subsequently, through analyzing the results, it determined if the product we had proposed was either a possible and valid solution to our problem or if any changes were required.
All the selected students that participated in our test understood the concept of our product. However, they answered that they would not be using the app we created. Furthermore, they liked the idea, and expressed that we succeeded in giving a more modern and fresh appearance to the museum, but maybe it would not be suitable for our targeted age group.
On the question “what could we have added to make the app better?”, we got the following answers:
- Dont know
- Meter display that shows if you’re close to the a ghost or not
- More ghost
- Maybe include a ghost history
When asked if they had some other feedback for us, their answers were:
- maybe it’s better for kids
- smile more in the videoprototype “happy”.
We made a good video prototype given that all the participants understood the concept by only watching the video.
Since none of our participants said they would like to use the app we created, it is evident that we may need to retrace our steps and create a different solution that would better fit for our selected age group. Considering that one of the participants gave the feedback “maybe its better for kids”, we could change our focus group from “students, age 18-25” to “children and families”. In this case, the proposed app is not a solution to our problem, therefore, we need to go back to redefine our problem. The results from this test show that we have to go back to the design thinking process to figure out a different solution. However, it should be noted that there is a significant margin of error in the test given that we only had three participants for our test. If we had tested our product on several people, there may be a possibility that the results could have been different.