Reflections – Test

Our reflections of the testing process

The data we collected from our testing process was very helpful with improving our solution.

We could also see very clearly that our prototype app would actually be a good solution, and could help students with managing their budgets and their savings. It was interesting to see that there was an actual need out there for our solution.

The testing process was the most interesting process for us, because we could get direct feeback from the user. However we also found that the user found it difficult to give “negative” feedback on our prototype, in fear of “hurting our feelings”. In this case this could easily be avoided by using people who have no connection to us or our project.

This is what we would have done differently, and maybe we would have received more “negative” feedback, which would be the most helpful.

The Final Testing

We started our testing process by figuring out who should test our prototype. We ended up with choosing three people from our student group homes, named: Rakel, Rebekka and Phillip. We had not previously mentioned our work, or our prototype, and since they are students they were the perfect matches for our testing group.

With each of the testers, we sat down with them alone, and showed them our prototype. We didn´t say or explain much, and wanted them to explore and figure it out by themself.

We were looking for these important things:

* Is the prototype easy to understand?

* Is there enough information/explanations for any questions?

* Could the potential future app be helpful in solving their problem?

We tried to take notes during each “session” to capture their findings and feedback. We wanted to gather every little feedback they would mention, and gather as much information as possible.  We also wanted to videotape their testing process, but unfortunately none of our testers felt comforable with that, and only agreed to some photos

We also set up some tasks, that each tester had to perform. We did this at the end of the process, after they were able to get to know the prototype. The task consisted of going to the store, and having to limit their spendings according to what the app said. However it was difficult for the tester to try it out in “real life” since it´s not a finished product. And it was difficult for the tester to imagine how it would be as a finished product.

We found that all the testers thought that our prototype was easy to manage, and that it seemed easy to use.

Rebekka thought that there should be more info explaining what the Smart Card is, and that there should also be a website connected where there could be customer service, more info and managing of your account. This was because it´s easier to do this through a website, instead of only on an app. She also thought you should be able to change the time period for limits and habits, and that it could be a week, month etc. Instead of just a week. Rebekka would like to have a similar app and it seemed like a fun way to manage her budget.

However Rakel though that it was great that you could see only habits and setting limits for a week at the time, and that made it easier for her to have closer insight and control over her spendings. However she also mentioned a website, and wondered if there was one. She also missed a function that could tell you how much you have saved. For example, if you don´t spend your limit in certain places, that money goes into a “saved” place.

Phillip liked the app as well, but thought we should tone down the colors, because it might not make it as appealing to older students if there is to much stuff happening.  It could therefore seem that our very colorful theme is more appealing to certain people, and might be difficult in appealing to the majority of students. However he also said he wished this was an actual app, because he liked the consept and would like to try it out.

Our data from the testing process tells us that our prototype is easy to understand, it also tells us there is not enough information/explanations in our app and that there should be a connecting website with more info. All of our testers liked the app, and would very much like to try it out. It made savings seem a little more fun, and that it could help with managing their budgets.  We should also look for the possibility of making the app more appealing to a bigger group of people, with maybe a more toned down theme.

They all seemed to think that the Smart Card can help them with managing their budgets, and controlling their spendings. It shows us that our prototype can be a solution for our problem definition. “How can we help students with changing their spending behaviours, and having better control of their budgets?”

 

Testing Process

We want to test the usability of our prototype, and the feeling of it. We want to see if our app and “credit card” is easy to manage for the user, and if it´s easy to understand.

There are not many big functionalities of our prototype, however there are many small ones that function together as one. We want to see the “big picture” and how the user and our prototype can function together.

We will use two different scenarios, one where the user is at the store and using the prototype for guidance. And the other where the user is at home planning their week and their budgets.

We want to create some tasks for the user to complete while trying our prototype. For example, in our prototype app you can set limits for how much money you can spend at a certain store. We then want the user to try to follow the instructions of the app, and only spend that amount of money.

We will have a total of three testers, which we will chose from some of our student homes. Considering only students live there, we were thinking they will be the perfect testing group.